Home care for diarrhea in a stable patient:
- Withhold food but not water for 12-24 hours (NOT in small young puppies, they should be seen usually)
- Feed boiled boneless chicken with rice in small amounts
- Add Metamucil or pumpkin purée in small amounts to food
- Use Imodium liquid if needed at 1 tsp./10 lbs. every 8-12 hours (DO NOT USE ON cats, Shelties, Collies, Old English Sheep Dogs)
Induce vomiting (DO NOT USE IN CATS):
In case of toxin ingestion use peroxide at the following dose:
- 1 tsp (5 ml) for every 10 lbs. of body weight, can be repeated in 10-15 min if your dog does not vomit.