Tenafly Veterinary Center offers nutritional counseling for pet owners of Tenafly, NJ and surrounding communities. If you have any questions about your pet’s diet or would like more information about your pet’s nutritional needs, please contact us today. We can set up a nutrition plan for your pet.
Obesity is a common problem among pets, as it can be easy to overfeed a cute dog or cat that knows how to beg. Being overweight is a serious problem for animals, and can cause real health problems. With proper diet and exercise, all pets should be able to meet their dietary needs and stay within a healthy weight range.
Pet’s nutritional needs change as they enter different stages of their lives. The best way to make sure your pets’ needs are being met is to consult with us about a diet made specifically for his or her lifestyle.
DR BARNEA’S APPROACH TO SOLID NUTRITION:
WHAT I FEED MY DOGS IS BASED ON 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS A VET. PETS LIVE SHORT LIVES.
USING FOOD AS MEDICINE CAN PREVENT DISEASE AND PROLONG THEIR LIVES.
1. PURINA RX DIETS ROTATION, BASED ON AGE AND HEALTH ISSUES – 60-75% OF TOTAL DIET:
EN-ENTERIC / GI, EASY TO DIGEST
DRM-DERMATOLOGICAL ISSUES ,SKIN,EARS,ALLERGY,AN ANTI INFLAMMATORY DIET
JM-JOINT MOBILITY,SENIOR PETS
NC-SENIOR PETS WITH COGNITIVE ISSUES
2. LONGEVITY-COMPLETE AND BALANCED RAW FROZEN DIET – 20-30% OF TOTAL DIET
3. HEALTHY TABLE FOOD (NOT FATTY, SPICY, OR FRIED), NO GRAPES, NO RAISINS, NO CHOCOLATE. (SEE WEBSITE FOR COMPLETE LIST)
4. NO GRAIN-FREE DIETS!
5. SAFE APPROACH TO OTC DIETS-CHOOSE FROM THE BIG 3–PURINA, HILLS, ROYAL CANINE -THEY ARE THE MOST SCIENTIFICALLY BASED COMPANIES CURRENTLY.
6. ALL DIETS MUST BE LABELED COMPLETE AND BALANCED, AAFCO-APPROVED. FEEDING JUST CHICKEN AND RICE OR JUST STEAK IS MALNUTRITION!
7. CONSULT WEBSITES: VETNUTRITION.TUFTS.EDU AND BALANCEIT.COM
Please contact us if you have any questions. We would love to speak with you.