Endoscopy is a nonsurgical procedure used to examine your pets passageways to aid in the diagnosis of disease and emergencies. Using an endoscope, a flexible or rigid tube with a light and camera attached to it, our doctors can view pictures of your pets insides and visualize the organs and internal systems without performing surgery.
We use both Flexible and Rigid endoscopy at Tenafly Vet Center.
OUR ENDOSCOPIC PROCEDURES INCLUDE:
- Cystoscopy – looking into the bladder, urethra, and vagina
- Rhinoscopy- looking into the nasal passageway
- Otoscopy- looking into the ear passageway
- GI- looking into the upper gastrointestinal tract
Endoscopy Services – Minimally Invasive Procedures To Help Avoid Pet Surgery
Nobody likes the thought of surgery on their pets – it is painful and carries the risk of complications.
For that purpose I have invested time in training and money in expensive endoscopy equipment so that when possible, surgery can be avoided.
Flexible endoscope helps our patients in two main categories:
- Retrieval of foreign bodies from the upper intestines such as rings, socks, underwear, stones, coins, toys. All of those and more have been removed safely without surgeries in the last decade that I have been using an endoscope in my practice.
- Most of the time our patients went home the same day!
- Biopsy (taking tissue samples) of the upper and lower gastrointestinal track.
- Chronic diarrhea and vomiting patients are in need of a definitive diagnosis, beyond repetitive blood tests and x rays.
- Often they are debilitated and cannot withstand an aggressive exploratory surgery.
- This is when a minimally invasive tool such as an endoscope can help in visualizing and sampling the inside of their intestines.
Patients who suffer from chronic nasal disease require a thorough examination of their nasal passages.
Rigid rhinoscsopy allows me to visualize the nasal passage and get valuable samples for biopsy and culture.